Feeding My Son Poison

Poison – or peanut butter.

I know, it’s dramatic.

Hear me out.

My entire time as a mother, peanuts have been something that can take the life of my child.

Forgive me when peanut butter becomes a poison.

But still – this weekend, I handed my younger son a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. In my other hand, his brother’s EpiPens.

The candy can kill my older son, J, but could be the saving grace for my younger one, G.

 

He ate it.

No problem.

feeding my son poison

You’ve heard about those new guidelines to give infants peanuts?

G’s two years old now, but when we was an infant – the first study I’d seen on the topic was released.

At that point, no guidelines had been released.

All I had was mother’s intuition (that’s a lie, I have none of that). So all I had was worry? Concern? Prayers? Staying awake all night tossing and turning?

No, really – I just compared the facts.

I knew my older son was highly allergic to peanuts. I also knew I had followed the old advice of waiting until he was a year old to give it to him.

I decided to take the plunge. The worst thing that could happen was he would have an allergic reaction – and I was already armed with Zyrtec and EpiPens.

It’s been two years, but I still remember the anxiety.

With my stomach in knots and my heart pounding – I grabbed what, as a mom, I had only known as poison. I gave it to G.

I waited.

I panicked.

I kept checking him.

Over.

And over again.

He was fine.

Still fine.

The poison (eh hem – peanut butter) did not take out my child.

He. Was. Fine.

He’s since been tested for food allergies – and passed with flying colors.

Not a single food allergy.

He doesn’t eat peanuts regularly because we don’t have it in the house. I try to give him it to him every few months – to make sure nothing develops.

As I fed him a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup this week – I just stared at him thinking how strange it was he could eat this.

How weird he could eat this deadly food.

Then I realized – it’s not weird at all.

The weird thing is the food allergy.

The weird thing is that that dumb little peanut filled chocolate can kill my other son.

The thing that can kill one son, may have saved the other.

It makes no sense.

But still, I truly believe that early introduction made the difference for G.

I’m going to put some information together about how we introduced! I hope it helps.

Have you done early peanut introduction? How long did you wait to give your child highly allergenic foods like peanuts?

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Feeding My Son Poison

  1. It’s so scary, the allergist suggested we introduce nuts to my youngest son. When we did the scratch test he had such a meltdown that he possibly smudged some of the histamine into the nut panel. It showed he may be allergic to almonds, pecans, and walnuts. I almost felt a sense of relief when the allergist told me to hold off feeding him nuts and we would repeat the scratch tests in a year.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. All of this is TERRIFYING! Food allergies are the worst!
      When my son turned 2 my allergist suggested we introduce all the tree nuts… even though he already knew he was allergic to peanuts. We had a few trips to the ER – it was TERRIFYING. (He never anaphylaxed… but the hives were enough to freak me out!)

      Like

  2. We found out about my daughter’s peanut allergy when she was just five months old. I was breastfeeding and eating peanut butter daily, and she had full-body nasty eczema that oozed and bled in some places. We did the scratch test (my husband has food allergies) and found a peanut allergy; as soon as I stopped breastfeeding, the eczema went away and never returned. Since then, we’ve had blood testing that confirmed a severe allergy and she does have an EpiPen.

    What scares me is that had I followed these guidelines when we hadn’t yet tested and confirmed an allergy, giving her even a small amount could have killed her. The guidelines suggest exposing them to small amounts of peanuts/peanut butter from 4-6 months, but in that timeframe, my daughter already had the allergy. And we didn’t yet have an EpiPen.

    I can only imagine your anxiety with your second son the first time you gave him peanut butter. That’s such a relief it isn’t a problem for him!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks for sharing this story. I’ve heard several like this. That’s why it’s so important to talk to your doctor. I think that eczema was likely a big indicator of the allergy – and would have put her in the high risk category!

      Food allergies are so scary! I’m SO glad you’er daughter is okay!

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s