Cross contamination has been a HUGE learning experience for us.
When J.C. was first diagnosed with peanut allergies, we had no idea what it would mean for our reality.
When you hear peanut allergy, you can pretty easily figure out we shouldn’t have peanuts in our home.
We threw out the peanut butter and Reese’s Cups.
What we didn’t know was anything about cross contamination.
One day at work I enjoyed a little bit of chocolate. Okay, a whole bag of regular MnM’s.
Not a second thought about it, right?
When I got home, I covered my adorable boy in kisses per usual.
Just moments later, his entire face was covered in hives.
The reason – cross contamination.
Just this month a 22-year-old lost his life to cross contamination. And it’s not the first time either.
I had a friend compare peanut dust to glitter.
I mean have you worked with that stuff? It gets everywhere. And it stays everywhere.
So I wanted to teach J.C. exactly what I mean when we talk about cross contamination.
I skipped the glitter (again, that stuff gets everywhere) and went for flour.
Step One: Lather Up in Flour
And lather it up good. You want your child to walk away knowing how dangerous cross contamination is.
Step Two: Gather Up a Couple of Food Items
We used a Hershey’s bar, raisins and wheat bread.
Step Three: Combine the Two
Let your little guy or girl pick up each piece of food with their flour-covered hands.
The result – a lesson in cross contamination.
I explained to J.C. that this is the result of flour cross contamination. I told him when someone touches something like flour or peanuts, and then touches something else – the dust gets on the next thing. If it were peanuts, these would be dangerous.
Last tip – put that container of flour somewhere your little one can’t get it. J.C. went on to “cross contaminate” the whole kitchen.
Might as well have been glitter.
How do you teach cross contamination?
If you liked this, check out What I Want My Son With Food Allergies to Know (to Save His Life).